UCHD, Protecting Your Health.


Monday, 08 February 2016 13:58

Safety Town


Safety Town is a fun five-day safety awareness program that is designed for children entering kindergarten. Through the use of music, crafts, videos, books, community speakers and a child-sized town, the children are taught basic safety lessons that they will use for the rest of their lives.

Every day the children face new challenges as they learn the proper way to cross the street, buckle their seat belt, wear a helmet while riding a bicycle, and understand the basic traffic rules. In addition, we cover other safety lessons such as: stranger danger, water, fire, school bus, and how to dial 911.

Representatives from the local Division of Police, Sheriff’s Office, Division of Fire and others participate at Safety Town to make every day an unforgettable experience for the children. 


2017 Safety Town Registration Information:

Program Dates: Monday, June 19th – Friday, June 23rd with two separate sessions being offered:

Morning Session: 9 am—12pm

Afternoon Session: 1 pm—4pm

Location: Navin Elementary, 16265 County Home Road, Marysville, OH

Safety Town will be offered this summer to 2017 incoming Marysville Exempted Village School District kindergartners! The program will be limited to 150 students this year and registration will be conducted on a first come, first served basis. Registration will open on April 11, 2017. Parents can register their child online or can fill out a paper registration form at the Union County Health Department. If all the spaces become filled, a waitlist will be formed in case any spots become available. Your registration will not be considered complete until the liability waiver is signed and the registration fee is paid.

Registration fee: The fee for Safety Town is $30 and can be mailed or delivered along with the liability waiver to the Union County Health Department once your registration form has been submitted. The registration fee covers the cost of the 5-day program, a bicycle helmet, and t-shirt. Any checks should be addressed to the Union County Health Department. Payment by credit card can be accepted if you come in to the Health Department.

Please note: No child will be denied registration for Safety Town because of inability to pay.


Safety Town Volunteer Information


If you are looking for a fun opportunity to serve your community and work with kids, we would love to have you as a Safety Town volunteer! We need your help to make kids in our community safer and to create a fun, memorable experience. We are in search of volunteers to serve as Classroom Leaders and Youth Classroom Assistants to assist our Classroom Leaders. Classroom Leaders must be 18 or older and preferably have some experience working with children. Classroom Assitant positions are open to students who will have completed between 7th and 12th grade in Spring of 2017. Click on the links below to learn more about the positions and to apply.

2017 Classroom Leader Description              Classroom Leader Application

2017 Youth Volunteer Application

 Have Questions? Email safetytown@uchd.net

Safety Town Partners: Safety Town is a collaboration between the City of Marsyville Division of Fire and Division of Police, Marysville Exempted Village School District, Memorial Health, Mill Creek Cycle & Skate, the Union County Health Department, and the Union County Sheriff's Office.

   UC-Logo-City-Of-Marysville    Marysville Schools LogoMemorialHealth2color   MCCS logo igg lg        Sheriff NEW STAR 2   UCHD.logo.bw   

Tuesday, 08 December 2015 02:21

Septic System Information

If you're thinking of inspecting your own sewage treatment system (STS) starting in 2020 it's a good idea to do your homework on how your STS should be functioning. 
COMING SOON we will have information on each of the following sewage treatment systems and some common issues users of each of these systems experience.

In the meantime, take a look at the OSU extension office's septic system maintenance page here.

Treatment and Pretreatment Types

Septic Tanks

Septic tanks help keep solid waste from clogging the rest of the system. When maintained correctly, solid waste will sink to the bottom of the tank allowing the rest of the sewage to move on the the next part of treatment. Septic tanks have evolved over the years to have more ways to keep solids from causing damage to the septic system.  In the pictures below you will see a cross section of a septic tank. You'll see the sludge layer (solids) at the bottom and a scum layer (Oils and other fluids lighter then water) at the top. It is important to regularly pump out your septic tank in order to make sure that sludge and scum layers don't build up and cause irreversible damage to the system.

How often you should pump your tank is different for each system. It depends on how many people live in your home and the size of your septic tank.Below is table created by The Ohio State University that determines how often you should get your tank pumped based on those two factors.


Table 1. Estimated septic tank pumping frequency (in years) for different size tanks for 1 to 9 people in a household of year-round residence.
Note: If a garbage disposal is used, more frequent pumping is required. 
Tank Size
(in gallons)
Number of People
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
500 5.8 2.6 1.5 1 0.7 0.4 0.3 0.2 0.1
750 9.1 4.2 2.6 1.8 1.3 1 0.7 0.6 0.4
1,000 12.4 5.9 3.7 2.6 2.0 1.5 1.2 1 0.8
1,500 18.9 9.1 5.9 4.2 3.3 2.6 2.1 1.8 1.5
2,000 25.4 12.4 8 5.9 4.5 3.7 3.1 2.6 2.2
2,500 31.9 15.6 10.2 7.5 5.9 4.8 4.4 4 3.0

Leach Field

One of the most common treatment types is a leach field. Leach fields start with a diversion box which diverts sewage into several long leach lines that allow sewage to trickle through the ground water without discharging to the surface. It relies on the microbes naturally present in the soil to clean the sewage before it is reused. Leach fields usually rely completely on gravity to move sewage along to long leach lines that allow the sewage to "leach" into the soil. Sometimes due to higher elevations a electrical pump is needed to get sewage to the leach field.

Common issues with leach fields occur when septic tanks are not pumped regularly and solids are allowed into the leach field. The solids clog the lines and don't allow sewage to leach out and be cleaned naturally. Depending on where the clog is, sewage can surface up into your yard or back into your home causing human and environmental health hazards. In order to make sure clogs don't occur in your leach field, you should pump the septic tank out regularly according to the chart above and switch the elbow in the diversion box at least every 6 months. Additionally, avoid parking cars, building anything or in anyway compacting the leach field. 

Subsurface Sand Filter




 Please see our Aerator Systems page.

EPA Grant Information

Union County Health Department was awarded a grant to fix and replace failing septic systems in Union County. If you know you have a problem with your system but do not have the funds to fix it, contact Holly Rast for information on how to apply!

Holly J. Rast
(937) 645-2043

Tuesday, 08 December 2015 02:20

Operation and Maintenance (O&M) Program


Initial Assessments ~ Assement Phase-in Schedule ~ O&M Permits ~ O&M Inspections
Inspection Options  ~ EPA Grant Information ~ O&M Staff Profiles  ~  FAQ's 


NEW 2015 Sewage Rules!

Ohio Administrative Code: Chapter 3701-29

icon OAC-3701-29 UCHD Sewage Rules Supplement

In January of 2015, Ohio Department of Health (ODH) adopted new private sewage laws (Ohio Administrative Code: Chapter 3701-29). These new laws mandate every private septic system also known as a sewage treatment system (STS) have an operation permit and to be monitored on a regular basis. This will ensure STS are working correctly and not polluting the environment. 

In Union County over 9,000 homes and businesses use STS to treat wastewater. Because of the large number of systems, initial assessments will be completed by township with only approximately 3 townships per year being added onto the O&M program starting in 2016. Below is the current schedule the Environmental Health Division has made for the 2016-2019 implementation of the countywide O&M program. (this schedule is subject to change)



Assessment Phase in Schedule

 2016-17: Claiborne, Leesburg, Taylor

 2017-18: Jackson, Washington, York, Liberty

 2018: Darby, Dover, Jerome, Millcreek

 2019: Allen, Union, Paris

Phase in by townships
*Phase in is by township. Years are subject to change.

Top of Page 


Initial Assessments

The Union County Health Department will be conducting initial assessments to determine the type of private septic system at each home or business. There is no cost for this initial assessment. These assessments will consist of records reviews and/or on-site inspections. If the health deapartment has sufficient records on file your private septic system  may not receive an initial assessment in person.

Initial assessments will be completed by township from 2016 through 2019, with approximately three townships per year being assessed. You can see the current map above although this is subject to change if needed. After your initial assessment has been done and the private septic system type has been determined, your private septic system will be officially added to the Board of Health’s Operation and Maintenance (O&M) program. Claibourne, Leesburg and Taylor Townships are the townships slated for review in 2016. 

While you are not required to be present, our inspectors always welcome questions and are happy to talk with you about your system. Health Department inspectors will typically visit during normal business hours and can be identified by any of the following:

1. Clothing or safety vest with the agency logo;

2. A vehicle marked with the agency’s logo;

3. An agency ID badge;

4. Agency letter/ paperwork identifying their purpose

You are always encouraged to contact our department if there is any concern at (937) 642-2053

To start the visit, the inspector will knock on the door. If no one answers, they will walk the accessible areas of the property to assess all components of the septic system. They will NOT enter any house, building or storage facility; the assessment is all outside.

After completing the assessment, a report and contact information will be available for the property owner. If for some reason you do not receive your report, a copy will be kept on file and can be emailed or mailed if needed. The property owner is encouraged to contact us with any questions.

How to receive a copy of your assessment report

If you live in Claibourne, Leesburg, or Taylor townships you may have already received a notice on your door stating that an assessment has been completed. To receive a copy of this assessment please send an email with your address to EHcontact@uchd.net. Someone from our office will reply with a copy of your assessment report. You should receive a copy of your report with 1-2 business days.

If you did not receive a notice but your neighbors did you may have received a desk audit meaning we have all the information we need to complete your assessment from our office. You can receive a copy of your report by following the instructions above.

If you live in a township other than Claibourne, Leesburg or Taylor you will be assessed during the years stated above. (click here to see a map)  However, if we visit your property for another reason (water sampling, nuisance complaint etc) we may complete your initial assessment at that time. 

Top of Page 


O&M Permits

O&M Permits are REQUIRED under the state sewage laws. Initial O&M permits will be sent to septic system owners in November of 2016 for the prorated 2017-2019 Operation Permit.  At the end of 2016 every septic system owner will be billed for a prorated permit in the amount of $30 ($10 per permit year). You will receive this bill in the mail with more information on when and how you can pay for your permit. 

 After the phase-in process, permits will be renewed in every year ending in a 0 or 5 (i.e. 2020, 2025...) and you will receive that renewal application in the mail the fall before the renewal is required.

For example: In the fall of 2019, every septic system owner will receive a renewal bill for their 2020-2024 permit.  Then in the fall of 2024 they will receive their next renewal bill for the 2025-2029 O&M permit.

 Top of Page


O&M Inspections

Starting in 2020, every septic system needs to be inspected on a regular basis which varies depending on the type of system you own. The table below shows the types of systems by category and how often they will be inspected. 


Table 1. Inspection Requirements.

The following are the inspection cycles for the various types of Sewage Treatment System (STS).

Frequency Group

(in order of risk, highest to lowest)


A. Aerators, discharging systems, NPDES, etc.

Regular Aerators

NPDES Aerators

Drip Distribution Systems

Aerator to Leach

Aerator to Mound

Aerator to SSSF

Aerator to Peat/Sphagnum Moss Filter

Aerator to any other STS

Unknown STS (until confirmed as something specific)

Annual Inspection

(5x per 5 years of the permit and no more than one accepted annually)

B1. Septic Tank (ST) to filter beds, lift stations, etc.

ST to SSSF (Discharging)

ST to Mound

ST to SB2

ST to Peat/Sphagnum Moss Filter (Discharging)

ST to Lift Station to Mound

ST to Filter Bed (Discharging)

ST to Lift Station to Leach

Lift Station to any other STS

B2. Septic Tank (ST) to holding tanks, filter beds, etc.

Holding Tanks

ST to Filter Bed (Non Discharging)

STS with sump pumps in the perimeter drain

Two Inspections per Permit Cycle

(2x per 5 years of the permit but no more than one accepted annually)

C. Septic Tank to leach field

One inspection per Permit Cycle

(1x per 5 years)


Inspection Options

After your initial assessment, you can choose from the three options below for who will complete ongoing inspectons for your system.

  1. Registered Service Provider
  2. Union County Health Department
  3. Registered Property Owner 

1. Registered Service Providers

Union County Health Department (UCHD) has a list of service providers that are registered to perform inspections on septic systems. Each service provider charges a fee for the assessment which varies depending on the service provider. The service provider will submit the inspection paperwork to UCHD (both the homeowner and service provider have an equal responsibility to submit all necessary paperwork to UCHD). Please note all inspection documentation must be submitted within one month to UCHD and any work performed on the STS must be reported to UCHD within 3 months.

The advantage to having a registered service provider assess your septic system is most service providers are able to perform maintenance on your system whereas UCHD will not. A full list of registered service providers can be found here: Registered Service Providers. Some registered service providers only perform inspections and will not be able to fix your system if they find something wrong.  If you think you might need service done to your system, be sure to ask if the registered service provider if they will be able to perform service or if they just assess the system.

icon Registered Service Providers

2. Union County Health Department

Your second option for your O&M inspection would be the Union County Health Department. If there is a problem after inspecting your septic system, UCHD will suggest measures to take to make sure it is working correctly. If you choose to have UCHD perform your inspection, the current fee can be found in the Envionmental Fee Schedule under catergory IV (Sewage Treatment Systems) Section D (Operation and Maintenance Assessments) Line 1 (HSTS Inspection).

**UCHD will NOT perform any repairs to your septic system.

3. Registered Property Owner (primary residence only)

A third option: STARTING IN 2020, you can perform inspections on the Sewage Treatment System (STS) of your primary residence if you own the property. There is a process you must go through in order to become a registered service provider with the Union County Health Department.

1) First, You'll need to take and pass a service provider test.
The test is offered for free online. After passing the test you must submit a certificate of completion to UCHD.

2) Along with your test certificate you must submit your application for registration to UCHD.
Registration fees and bonding requirements have been waived for individuals only performing service on their primary residence. UCHD will processes your application.

3) In order to process your application you must receive education on your septic system type. Set up an appointment with one of our sanitarians to receive education regarding proper maintenance to your system. 

Finally you will receive notification that your application has been approved and you are a registered service provider. You may now perform service and inspections on your STS. Homeowner registration is required every year in which you will be inspecting your system.  After inspecting your system, submit assessment details via your assessment report to UCHD. Any work performed on the STS must be reported to UCHD within 3 months. You can follow this link to learn more about the testing process.

icon Service Provider Application

Regardless of your service provider, please contact UCHD before any system changes are made (not including equipment repairs). 

Jim Cogar, RS
Phone: (937) 645-2041
Email: jim.cogar@uchd.net
Holly J. Rast, RS
Phone: (937) 645-2043
Email: holly.rast@uchd.net

 Top of Page



Click here for a brochure of information 
regarding the O&M Program


icon O&M Brochure 



EPA Grant Information

This grant will be awarded to households at 50%, 85%, and 100% of the total cost of replacing your septic system. The amount you qualify for is based on household income level. Click here to learn about the income levels eligble for grant money.  If you know you have a problem with your system but do not have the funds to fix it, contact Holly Rast or Allison Zandarski for information on how to apply for this grant money! 

Holly Rast                                                   Allison Zandarski
(937) 645-2043                                          (937) 645-2028
holly.rast@uchd.net                                   allison.zandarski@uchd.net

 icon EPA Grant

Top of Page


Frequently Asked Questions 

1. Is my system grandfathered in, making me exempt from the O&M program?

No. Every septic system in Union County will be in the O&M program by 2020. The O&M program will allow UCHD to pinpoint environmental hazards and stop them from polluting our environment.  For this reason, along with the 2015 state-wide sewage rules mandating the O&M program, no system is exempt.

2. If my system is found to be broken during my assessment, will I have to replace my entire septic system?

Not necessarily.  UCHD is prepared to work with you to salvage every system that needs repairs to work properly.  Expensive repairs and replacements are last resorts and will be avoided at all cost. However, we are looking to prevent and eliminate environmental pollution. Septic systems that are failing and pose immediate harm to human health and the environment, will need to be addressed quickly.

3. When do I need to pay for my 2017-2019 O&M permit and how do I pay for it?

You will receive a bill in the mail in the fall of 2016 for your 2017-2019 permit. The bill will detail when your fee is due. You can pay by mail with a check or in our offices with a check, credit card, or cash.

4. How often will I be inspected?

How often you are inspected depends on the type of system you have. Click here to see the table of system types and how often each needs to be inspected during the 5 year permit.

5. Can I do my own O&M inspections?

Yes. However, you can only perform inspections on your primary residence and you must own the property. Renters may not perform inspections. You can learn more information about conducting your own inspections here.

6. If I buy a home will I have to purchase a new operation permit or will the current permit transfer?

The operation permit is connected to your septic system and stays with the septic system if you choose to move. If you buy a home that has an operation permit, you will not have to buy a new permit but will need to renew it every 5 years. Operation permits are renewed in years ending in 0 or 5, i.e. 2020, 2025.

7. What should I expect if I have an aerator that is on the current O&M Program?

 You will be permited at the end of 2016 like all the other systems in Union County. This permit will cost $30. Beginning in 2017 you will be immediately transferred to the new O&M program and will continue to be inspected every year. If you choose to have UCHD inspect your system, the cost can be found here. You can learn more about other inspection options here

8. How to receive a copy of my initial assessment report?

Send an email with the address of the property you are requesting the report of to EHcontact@uchd.net. Someone from our office will reply with a copy of your assessment report. You should receive a copy of your report within 1-2 business days. 

9. How do I prepare for my initial assessment?

Your assessment will tell you the type of system you have and if you need to perform maintenance on the system. However, having some things done before hand can help your inspector determine system type and ensure that the system is working correctly.
-If you haven't in the last 5 years, you should have your septic tank pumped. Click here for a list of our registered sewage haulers.
-While not required, installing risers and lids on your system will allow your inspector to get a better look at your system and verify its physical and working condition (click here for a list of installers). If your system type or location cannot be identified during your assessment you will be placed in the most frequently inspected system type category and be inspected every year. (click here to see table) If you believe you have been placed in a different category than you should be please contact our office with your address and corrected system type at EHcontact@uchd.net
-Lastly, it is helpful to verify all the plumbing that goes to your septic system. Washing machines, toilets, and sink drains are all examples of what should be draining to your septic system. Sump pumps and water softeners are things that should NOT drain to your septic tank.  

icon Registered Sewage Installers 

icon Registered Sewage Haulers

Top of Page


Meet Our Sanitarians and Environmental Health Staff!

These are some of our staff that may be visiting your home for O&M assessments and inspections. Click on their pictures to learn more about them!

Paul Ithenya

Holly Rast

Adam Schultz


Jim Cogar

Zach Colles

Allison Zandarski

Melissa Henry

Vic Olsewski


Marcia Dreiseidel


 Top of Page


Wednesday, 18 November 2015 13:46

Customer Satisfaction

The Union County Health Department strives to provide high quality customer service. Whether providing a service or engaging in an enforcement action, our goal is to treat every customer with respect and professionalism. To help determine if we are achieving this goal, we rely on feedback from our customers. Whether a positive or negative experience, please share your experience with our leadership team. To provide customer feedback, please use one of the following three options:

1. Complete a short, online survey.
Please click on one of the links below to complete a survey. Please complete the Environmental Health Customer Survey if your interaction was with a member of our Environmental Health Division - Food Service, Sewage Systems, Wells, Pools, etc. If your interaction was with staff from any other division, please complete the General Health Department Customer Survey.

Environmental Health Customer Survey       General Health Department Customer Survey

2. Email contact@uchd.net  and share your concerns or experience. 

3. Call (937) 642-2053 and request to speak to the division supervisor.

Wednesday, 01 July 2015 18:50

Creating Healthy Communities

We’re creating healthy communities here in Union County. Whether it’s accepting SNAP benefits at the Union County Farmers Market, developing the county’s Trail and Greenway Master Plan, or ensuring model tobacco-free policies for schools, we’re here to make sure all of Union County stays happy and healthy.


Vision:  Making the Healthy Choice the Easy Choice
Mission:  Creating Healthy Communities (CHC) is committed to preventing and reducing chronic disease statewide. Through cross-sector collaboration, we are activating communities to improve access to and affordability of healthy food, increase opportunities for physical activity, and assure tobacco-free living where Ohioans live, work and play. By implementing sustainable evidence-based strategies, CHC is creating a culture of health.




In Union County, healthy living starts here. See what we’re working on below:



3CircleIcons 1-7-15-01-300x300 active living

Union County Trail and Greenway Master Plan

Richwood Lake Trail 

Bicycle Lending Program (Richwood)

Ohio Healthy Program 


3CircleIcons 1-7-15-02-300x300

Richwood Farmers Market

Union County Farmers Market

Community Gardens

3CircleIcons 1-7-15-03-300x300 tobacco

Tobacco Free Schools

Tobacco Free Parks & Public Spaces

Active Living

Union County Trail and Greenway Master Plan

In 2013, the Union County Comprehensive Plan recommended a county-wide trail corridor plan be prepared. This lead to a collaboration of local governments, regional planning organizations, private interest groups, businesses and the public coming together to complete the Union County Trail and Greenway Master Plan. Together, these partners have developed a bold vision for future trail development and greenway preservation in the community. In addition, this plan showcases the natural, cultural and recreational resources in the County and illustrates how a linked network of trails and greenways can lead to an improved quality of life for residents and visitors. This Master Plan recommends policies and procedures that foster the development of trail and greenway systems; provides descriptions of theme based trail system that tells the story of Union County’s unique character and charm; and identifies early action projects that can be developed to begin the process of connecting the County’s many resources. Click on the icons below to learn more about the Union County Trail and Greenway Plan.

Richwood Lake Trail 


The Richwood Lake Park is a focal point in northeast Union County. Located just north of historic downtown Richwood, it offers numerous amenities like fishing, boating, youth athletics, picnicking and nature observation. To improve connection to the Village and within the park, a multi-use trail is being constructed that links the numerous park facilities and also provides connection to downtown Richwood, the Civic Center, and the Richwood schools. When completed, this one mile trail will expand the areas recreational resources, increase opportunities to access the lake and park for recreation and physical activity, and provide places to enjoy for the entire community. Click on the icons below to learn more about the Richwood Lake Trail.


Bicycle Lending Program (Richwood)

The bicycle lending program will be launching in 2017. The program will be run by the Richwood-North Union Library, and will feature rentable bikes for anyone with a library card. Simply check out a bike like you would a book, and spend your day exploring all Richwood has to offer while receiving the benefits of being physically active! 


Future Developments

 The Creating Healthy Communities program, along with other community partners, is looking to develop and further other new and existing projects in Union County between 2016 and 2019. Some of these projects include:

-Ohio Healthy Program for Day Cares and After School Programs

-North Union Safe Routes to School Projects

Healthy Eating

Richwood Farmers Market

Union County Farmers Market (SNAP)

Farmers Market Recipe Cards

Tobacco Free

Tobacco Free Schools

Tobacco Free Public Spaces & Parks





Sunday, 29 March 2015 18:44

Healthy Homes


We spend much of our time at home. Yet, our home can contain hidden health hazards. To learn more about these health risks, take the virtual tour above. Click on each room and see where to look for health hazards. Click on the hot spots and see what hazard you may encounter and what simple steps you can take to prevent or address the hazards. If you want more information on a hazard, view the healthy homes booklet or scroll down and click on the link below.

If you have difficulty viewing the house above, click here for a quick guide on Healthy Homes or download a Healthy Homes Booklet.

For an assessment tool to help you decide if your home is healthy, click here

For a checklist of recommended home maintenance, click here for a Healthy Homes Maintenance CheckList

Bed Bugs
Carbon Monoxide
Dust & Allergens
Fall Prevention
Fire Safety
Food Safety
Medication Safety
Pest Control
Poisoning Prevention
Safe Sleep

The Union County heatlhy homes awareness campaign is funded in part by the Ohio Department of Health Healthy Homes and Lead Poisoning Prevention Program.      

RedOHIO 1 HealthyHomesYealryLogo 1

Wednesday, 26 November 2014 19:44

Access to Healthcare

One of the goals of the Union County Health Department is to ensure access to healthcare for all Union County, Ohio residents. To achieve this goal, the Union County Health Department works closely with our healthcare community and community leaders to identify strengths and weaknesses in our local healthcare system. Based on this assessment, the Union County Health Department and partner agencies work to provide healthcare solutions for residents in need. To get help understanding insurance options or finding a doctor, please call Tim Kelley at 937-645-2048 for a free 1 on 1 consultation.

The two main obstacles many residents face when trying to find healthcare is lack of affordable insurance and inability to find a doctor. Click on the links below to find out how Union County, Ohio residents can get insured and get care.

Get Insured
Get Care


The health insurance law can sometimes be a little difficult to understand. Please check out this fun informational video which explains how health insurance coverage works.


Get Insured

One of the goals of the Union County Health Department is to ensure access to healthcare for all Union County, Ohio residents. We believe this starts with making sure our residents have access to health insurance. To get help understanding insurance options, please call Tim Kelley at 937-645-2048 for a free 1 on 1 consultation. During the consultation, we can help individuals understand the Health Insurance Marketplace, determine if they are eligible for Medicaid, and assist in completing application paperwork for both options. 


Healthcare Marketplace




The Ohio state legislature voted to expand Medicaid coverage in 2013. This expansion means more Ohioans are eligible for insurance coverage through Medicaid.

Children and Families Who May Be Eligible for Medicaid:

  • Children up to 19 years old
  • Parents or caretaker relatives of children up to 19 years old
  • Some 19 and 20 year olds
  • Adults up to age 64 living at or below 138% Federal Poverty Level

Women Who May Be Eligible for Medicaid:

  • Pregnant women
  • Some women with breast and/or cervical cancer

Older Adults and Individuals with Disabilities Who May Be Eligible for Medicaid: 

  • Adults aged 65 and older
  • People with disabilities, including blindness as determined under the Social Security rules

Refugees and Immigrants Who May Be Eligible for Medicaid:

  • Some immigrants may be eligilbe for Medicaid
  • There are some programs to help immigrants who are not eligible for Medicaid. 

To be eligibile for Medicaid coverage, you must:

Be a United States Citizen or meet Medicaid citizenship requirements. The immigration rules are complex. Your local country Job and Family Services office specializes in getting you enrolled.

  1. Have or get a Social Security number.
  2. Be an Ohio resident.
  3. Meet certain financial requirements, which vary depending on the program. Some people who are blind or disabled may have too high an income to quality for Medicaid. In this case, you may have a spenddown plan that allows you to qualify on a month-by-month basis. If you are an older adult or an individual with a disability, you may need to meet a resource requirement to qualify.


For more Medicaid information, please visit http://medicaid.ohio.gov/HOME.aspx


Health Insurance Marketplace:

In 2010 the Affordable Care Act, a healthcare reform law, expanded healthcare coverage in the United States. Under the Affordable Care Act, a health insurance marketplace was created. The Marketplace allows individuals to shop and apply for healthcare options based on income. The Marketplace also determines eligibility for subsidies to help make insurance coverage more affordable. 

If you are already enrolled in a healthcare marketplace plan, it is important to log back in and review your health plan, update if necessary, and compare new plans. For more information on health insurance through the Marketplace please visit www.healthcare.gov. If you need additional assistance in understanding the Marketplace or appying through the Marketplace, please call Tim Kelley at 937-642-2053 for a free 1 on 1 consultation.

Important Dates: Below are important deadlines to remember if you plan to enroll in the healthcare Marketplace for 2017 coverage.

November 1, 2016: Open Enrollment started — first day you can enroll or re-enroll in an insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2017.

December 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2017

January 1, 2017: 2017 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15, 2016

January 31, 2017: Last day to enroll in or change plans. If you don’t enroll in a 2016 health insurance plan by January 31, 2016, you can’t enroll in a health insurance plan for 2016 unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.


If you and/or your family already have health insurance through the Marketplace, it is important to review your plan each year to ensure you have the best availabel coverage. In many cases, you will be automatically re-enrolled in your existing plan if you do not log into the Marketplace. Even if you think you’ll be automatically enrolled, we strongly recommend you log in to your Marketplace account, update the information on your application, and check out all plans available to you.


If you choose NOT to have health insurance, you could be subject to monetary fines. See below for a breakdown of these penalties. Contact the Union County Health Department at 937-645-2053 to see if you may be eligible for an exemption from these tax penalties. 


Get Care

Don’t rely on the Emergency Room or Urgent Care to be your primary care provider. Affordable medical care is available in Union County, Ohio for those facing financial barriers. If you are uninsured, have insurance but face high deductibles or co-pays, or have Medicaid and can’t find or afford a doctor, the Union County Health Department can help. We can connect you to medical care and prescription assistance. Below is a list of local medical, dental, behavioral health, and prescription assistance resources.


Lower Lights UnionStar  Health Center

773 Walnut St
Marysville, OH 43040
(937) 642-1444

Services:Provides routine care, chronic disease management, physicals, well-child checkups, immunizations, and prenatal care. Patients of Lower Lights UnionStar also have access to behavioral health services, dental services, vision services, pharmacy services, and nutrition services.  

Hours: Open Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm. Appointment needed.

Eligibility: Accepts patients with or without insurance or those who have Medicaid.Sliding fee scale available for those who qualify.



Union County Health Department

940 London Ave, Ste 1100B
Marysville, OH 43040
(937) 642-2053

 Services: Immunizations, prenatal care, sexual health services, nutrition assistance, and prescription assistance. 

 Hours: Open Monday-Friday. Most services by appointment only.

Eligibility: Most services are available to individuals who are uninsured, insured, or covered by a Medicaid or Medicare managed plan. 



715 S. Plum St.
Marysville, OH 43040
(937) 644-9192

 Services:Mental health services, drug and alcohol treatmetn services. 

Hours: Open Monday-Thursday from 8am-8pm and Friday from 8am-5pm.



The Family Health Collaborative of Union County has created a Family Resource Directory for 2014-2015. The directory highlights several services available to Union County families, focusing on services for families with children. Please browse pages 33-36 of the resource directory for additional health related services offered by the Union County Health Department and our community partners. 

2014-2015 Family Resource Directory



Thursday, 07 August 2014 01:20

Flu Activity Update

Flu Update for Union County, Ohio - As of Feb. 14, 2018

Union County has had 39 influenza-associated hospitalizations this flu season. Union County residents hospitalized with the flu this season have ranged in age from 28 through 93 years with an average age of 68. Flu activity is still widespread in Ohio and all of the continental US. Flu activity in Ohio did decrease during the end of January, but is still above what we typically see. It is still too early to determine if flu season has truly peaked and will continue to decline. 


Flu Symptoms

Influenza (also known as the flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by flu viruses. It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. The flu is different from a cold. The flu usually comes on suddenly. People who have the flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:

  • Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headaches
  • Fatigue (tiredness)
  • Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.

* It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

Flu Complications

Most people who get influenza will recover in a few days to less than two weeks, but some people will develop complications (such as pneumonia) as a result of the flu, some of which can be life-threatening and result in death.

Pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus and ear infections are examples of complications from flu. The flu can make chronic health problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have the flu, and people with chronic congestive heart failure may experience worsening of this condition that is triggered by the flu.

People at High Risk from Flu

Anyone can get the flu (even healthy people), and serious problems related to the flu can happen at any age, but some people are at high risk of developing serious flu-related complications if they get sick. This includes people 65 years and older, people of any age with certain chronic medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), pregnant women, and young children.

What are the emergency warning signs of flu sickness?

In children

  • Fast breathing or trouble breathing
  • Bluish skin color
  • Not drinking enough fluids
  • Not waking up or not interacting
  • Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
  • Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
  • Fever with a rash

In adults

  • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
  • Sudden dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Severe or persistent vomiting
  • Flu-like symptoms that improve but then return with fever and worse cough

In addition to the signs above, get medical help right away for any infant who has any of these signs:

  • Being unable to eat
  • Has trouble breathing
  • Has no tears when crying
  • Significantly fewer wet diapers than normal
  • Has trouble breathing
  • Has no tears when crying
  • Significantly fewer wet diapers than normal

Prevent the Flu in 3 Steps

Step One: Get a flu shot

  • CDC recommends a yearly flu vaccine as the first and most important step in protecting against flu viruses.
  • While there are many different flu viruses, a flu vaccine protects against the viruses that research suggests will be most common. (See Vaccine Virus Selection for this season’s vaccine composition.)
  • Flu vaccination can reduce flu illnesses, doctors’ visits, and missed work and school due to flu, as well as prevent flu-related hospitalizations.
  • Everyone 6 months of age and older should get a flu vaccine every year before flu activity begins in their community. CDC recommends getting vaccinated by the end of October, if possible. Learn more about vaccine timing.
  • Vaccination of high risk persons is especially important to decrease their risk of severe flu illness.
  • People at high risk of serious flu complications include young children, pregnant women, people with certain chronic health conditions like asthma, diabetes or heart and lung disease and people 65 years and older.
  • Vaccination also is important for health care workers, and other people who live with or care for high risk people to keep from spreading flu to them.
  • Children younger than 6 months are at high risk of serious flu illness, but are too young to be vaccinated. People who care for infants should be vaccinated instead.


  • Take everyday preventive actions to stop the spread of germs like this mother teaching her young child to wash hands.
  • Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
  • While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
  • If you are sick with flu symptoms, CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities. (Your fever should be gone for 24 hours without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.)
  • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
  • Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.


  • Take flu antiviral drugs if your doctor prescribes them like this older woman listening to her doctor.
  • If you get the flu, antiviral drugs can be used to treat your illness.
  • Antiviral drugs are different from antibiotics. They are prescription medicines (pills, liquid or an inhaled powder) and are not available over-the-counter.
  • Antiviral drugs can make illness milder and shorten the time you are sick. They may also prevent serious flu complications. For people with high risk factors[702 KB, 2 Pages], treatment with an antiviral drug can mean the difference between having a milder illness versus a very serious illness that could result in a hospital stay.
  • Studies show that flu antiviral drugs work best for treatment when they are started within 2 days of getting sick, but starting them later can still be helpful, especially if the sick person has a high risk factor or is very sick from the flu. Follow your doctor’s instructions for taking this drug.
  • Flu symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people also may have vomiting and diarrhea. People may be infected with the flu, and have respiratory symptoms without a fever.






Sunday, 29 June 2014 23:46

IDRS Slide Test

5-Grinch-Who-Stole-Christmas-feast-photo-fanpop com

Thursday, 29 May 2014 22:39



Page 1 of 13