Public Notice: Vital Statistics Fee Changes
The Board of Health waived the third reading and adopted a new vital statistics fee schedule at the Nov. 16, 2016 Board of Health meeting. Effective Jan. 1, 2017, the new cost for a birth and death certificate is $24. Please download the following pdf to view the full vital statistics fee schedule.
The Union County Health Department can issue birth certificates for anyone born in the state of Ohio from 1909 to the present.
A certified copy of a birth certificate is $24. Additional copies of the same birth certificate at the same point of purchase are $22 each. Our apologies, but due to state requirements, we are NOT able to provide complimentary copies of birth certificates.
Certified copies of death certificates are available for those that passed away in Union County. We do NOT have state-wide issuance of death certificates. A certified copy of a death certificate is $24. Additional copies of the same death certificate at the same point of purchase are $22 each. Our apologies, but due to state requirements, we are NOT able to provide complimentary copies of death certificates.
Obtaining the Certificates:
- You may receive the birth certificate in person. Lobby hours are 8am to 4pm.
No appointment necessary and the entire process typically takes less than 10 minutes.
- You may request the certificate by mail or fax. You must mail the application along with a self-addressed stamped envelope and payment to the Union County Health Department. We are not responsible for lost or returned mail.
Birth or Death Certificate Request form
Feel free to print and fill out the form before you come to the office. Form is required when mailing or faxing requests.
- Cash, exact change is appreciated as we do not always have change available.
- Check, payable to the Union County Health Department.
- Credit or Debit Card (Visa or MasterCard only). If paying by mail or fax, print, fill out, and return this form with your application (required).
- Mother's first name and maiden name
- Father's first and last name
- Date of birth for the individual
- Full name and address of person requesting certificate
- Deceased's full name
- Date of death
If a certified copy of a birth or death certificate is required by the Veterans's Administration, one free certified copy of the record can be provided. Veterans copies must be requested using a veterans request form. The veterans request form must be signed by the Veterans Administration or funeral director who has knowledge of proof of service in the military.