UCHD, Protecting Your Health.


Swimming Pools

The Union County Health Department inspects public swimming pools and spas. Indoor pools are inspected quarterly and outdoor pools are inspected on a bi-weekly basis during the swimming season.  

Online inspections reports can be found here.

If you believe there is an issue with a public swimming pool, please contact the health department at (937) 642-2053.

For information about safety and your residential pool, visit www.poolsafely.gov.

If you are planning to install a pool on your property that holds water at a depth of 24-inchs or greater, you must contact the Union County building department at (937) 645-3018.  Permits must be obtained before installation can begin. 


Public Swimming Pools 

Public swimming pools, spas and special use pools are regulated under the authority of Chapter 3749 of the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) and the rules specified in Chapter 3701-31 of the Ohio Administrative Code (OAC).

As a pool or spa operator, you are responsible for maintaining your pool in a safe, healthy manner.

State minimums for pool water chemistry:

  • Chlorine Level – 1.0 ppm (2.0ppm for Spas)
  • Alkalinity – 60ppm (recommend 80-120 ppm)
  • pH range between 7.2 and 7.8
  • Cyanuric Acid – less than 70ppm (applicable only for those using stabilized chlorine)
  • Spas – must be drained entirely every 30 days

To balance your pool, read the instructions on your chemical supplies. Calculations to assist are found on the bottom back of your inspection forms.

Chapter 3701-31 (Pool Rules)

Equipment Replacement:

Replacing a "like for like" piece of equipment, such as a 1-horsepower pump replaced with a 1-horsepower pump, does not require an equipment replacement form.  However, if you decided to replace the 1-horsepower pump with a 1.5-horsepower pump, then you must complete an equipment replacement form.icon

Record Keeping:

As an operator, you should be logging your chemical test results daily in the weekly. If you have an automatic controller, then you need to test your chlorine, combined chlorine, and pH once daily. If you do not have an auto controller, then you must test the chemical levels every 4 hours the pool is open. Total alkalinity and cyanuric acid (where appropriate) should be tested weekly. You may use this weekly record sheet. [link to weekly report PDF] or create one for your own use, but it must contain all the required information.

All injuries, fecal accidents, test results for automatic chemical controllers and SVRs, and repairs should also be noted on the weekly pool reporticon. Records should be retained for at least 2 years.

Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act:

Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act (2007) 

All public swimming pools shall have a secondary means installed to prevent entrapment or evisceration of the public swimming pool patrons. The secondary means may be any of the following:

  • A second main drain;
  • A gravity flow drainage system with an unblockable outlet cover;
  • An unblockable outlet cover with a compatible sump; or
  • A SVRS that is properly installed.

Please make sure you pool is compliant and remains compliant with this act.

Safety Vacuum Release Systems (SVRS):

If your pool is equipped with a SRVS, please make sure it is tested yearly and those records are kept with your daily pool logs. Some systems, when they are tripped may result to a default setting that is not the setting required by your pool's design. Ensure that you know how to reset them properly, when required. Contact your pool supply company or the company that installed your equipment to learn how to properly test and reset your SVRS.